Sporting Excellence in the Community

Sports Played at The Club


Other facilities here at The Sports Club


A brief history of the Club

Sports began at the Rectory Field in 1883 when the Blackheath Football Club moved there from a ground in Old Dover Road. The Rev. Swainson, Rector of St Luke's Church in Charlton lived next door and the rectory and 91/2 acre field was leased by the Church Commissioners from the Maryon-Wilson Estate.

1881 Team

In 1885 the Rugby Club was approached by Blackheath Morden Cricket Club to ask if they could join them at the Rectory Field as it we becoming impossible to maintain a wicket on Blackheath. The Maryon-Wilson Estate agreed, providing a company was formed to maintain the ground. After a public meeting, the Blackheath Cricket, Football and Lawn Tennis Company Limited was founded with a capital of £3,000 divided into shares of £1.

A lease was given on the ground for the sole purpose of engaging in the three sports of rugby, cricket and lawn tennis. In 1937 two squash courts were built to add a fourth sport at the Rectory Field. Directors are elected by each club to act in an honorary capacity for the benefit of all the sports. The Directors meet regularly to make policy decisions with an Executive meeting every month to ensure the smooth running of the Club. Crucially they are responsible for employing ground staff and the bar manager, maintaining the buildings and providing playing facilities to a high standard to ensure that the four sports can continue to be played at the Rectory Field.

W P Carpmael